Sunday, April 17, 2005

Oldboy



Yesterday afternoon I went to the Rialto Cinema and saw a crazy Korean movie called Oldboy, which featured some great torture scenes as well as an insight into what it would be like to be locked up in a room for 15 years without knowing why. It was somewhat Quentin Tarantino-esque, the general mood of the movie as well as the bizzare twists reminded me a lot of him. I was relatively impressed by the fight scenes, and nicely detailed torture scenes, this kind of thing seems far more common in asian cinema than american. The movie ended being a "Tale of Vengeance" and I later discovered that director Chanwook Park is making a Vengeance Trilogy of sorts, and this was the second installment. The first was called Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, and also appears to be rather twisted and gory. The next one is apparently filming at the moment. I've not seen any korean films before, I normally stick to Japanese movies, since I'm not a huge fan of reading subtitles. But after seeing this I think I will try and see more :D It was certainly a disturbing experience.